Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Strong-Willed Woman

The strong-willed woman is a term that has been used for generations to describe a woman who is, in essence, an arrogant, stubborn woman who can't submit to her husband or even to God. If this has been your picture of a strong-willed woman I am going to challenge your thinking a bit as you read further.

I am a strong-willed woman. I have a strong will and firm convictions. I'm not afraid to speak my mind, and when I am committed to accomplishing a goal, I'll move heaven and earth to get the job done. I've gotten in trouble, more then once, for being too bossy and pushy, and I've unintentionally offended others with my actions. I believe that God has given me a strong-will. Although I didn't before. I really saw it as a weakness, something that God couldn't use, but I realized over time that there is a difference between a strong woman and a woman of strength. We can choose to use our God given personalities for His glory or ours. Strong will itself is not a negative trait; it only becomes negative when you use it in ways that do not honor God. God does require that we surrender our strong wills to Him. But what we get back is an amazing spirit of God that actually makes our strengths stronger. And it is only through God's grace can any strong-willed woman avoid the negative aspects of even our best traits.

So what is a Strong-Willed Woman? Lets take a look at a few excerpts from Cynthia Ulrich Tobias's book Redefining the Strong Willed Woman.

I have a deep desire to make a difference
I am not content to coast (I don't like to wait)
I am fiercely loyal
I need to be involved
I will not be ignored
I have no reverse gear
I tend to succeed (I never do something that doesn't promise success)
I am wholehearted in action (whatever I choose to do, I do with my whole heart)
I have diverse intrests
I have a strong desire to do right
I am willing to do what needs to be done

So what do you think? Do you possesses the qualities of a strong-willed woman? I know I have quite of few of these traits myself. It's amazing what God can do with a woman who has a strong will. A will to, get the job done, who wants to do what is right, is loyal, and wants to make a difference. The only thing we need to make sure we are so very careful about is when our strong wills are out of God's submission. This is something that we must die to each and everyday. Sometimes more then once a day.

Let's make a promise to one another right now. I am going to pray this prayer for you, will you pray this prayer for me?

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for our strong wills. Thank you for the beautiful strong-willed women that are all around the world, and the ones that read this blog. I pray that you strengthen them with compassion and love, to serve others and bring glory to Your name. I pray that everyday they will die to their plans and agenda's. That you will use them in many ways.
In your precious name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment